Ants cause problems primarily when they forage in buildings for food or water, or when they construct nests in buildings and gardens.
Ants can be attracted to a wide range of products, with different species preferring different things such as: sweets, meats, fats or oils. Ants will also search indoors for water during dry periods. When desirable items are found many species will recruit fellow nest to help gather the food and return it to the nest. This can result in large numbers of ants appearing in a short period of time.
Of all insects that infest buildings, ants are the most common. There are many different species of ant. Each is unique in terms of their nesting sites, habits, characteristics and feeding preferences.
The Ant Hierarchy
- An egg-laying female (Queen)
- Short-lived males and workers (sterile female)
- Foragers in gardens or kitchens (Workers)
Treatment for Ant Control
Ant control can be extremely difficult, but there are some things you should know about their behavior that will help you keep them under control.
- Entry: Ants can enter through even the tiniest cracks, seeking out water and sweet or greasy food substances.
- Colony Lifetime: A colony can live a relatively long lifetime. Worker ants may live seven years and the queen may live as long as 15 years.
- Colony size: A colony can contain thousands of Ants and whole colonies can at times quickly relocate quickly when threatened.
- Pheromone trails: Ants leave an invisible chemical trail containing pheromones for other ants to follow once they locate the food source.
- Nest locations: Ants can nest anywhere in and around your buildings in lawns, walls, stumps, foundations, and even under concrete slabs making a small crack a new highway into your property.
- Do-it-yourself ineffectiveness: Most do-it-yourself ant control approaches only kill the ants you see and are rarely ineffective as a long term solution to infestations.
- Keep food stored tightly.
- Clean up any food and drink spills immediately.
- Rinse out cans and bottles before placing them into the recycling bin.
- Pick up pet food at night and don’t feed them outdoors.
- Seal all cracks around your doors and windows, and keep gutters and downpipes clean.
Successful ant control requires more than just a surface spray. At Sovereign, we use the latest Chemicals available including repellent & non-repellent liquid insecticide’s and insecticidal dust.